Tuesday 4 June 2013

In general

Sorry I haven't posted lately, what little spare time I've had I've spent on the bike.
Photobucket hasn't help either with all the changes' their did to the site, I complained, received e-mail response apologizing, theirs took on board some of my remarks, one of them "missing album page numbers" now pages number function is reinstated.  

During this second build it's been very hopeful to be able to discuss via email, forum-pm with a guy in Richmond, VA, who has done the front and rear mods I am doing which has been very helpful' So a big thanks to him. There still only so much you can ask and you have to put your own blend of idea into the mix as well, but it's been great to discuss things with someone, something I didn't have during the first build.

And now the B4: The rear wheel: So Far:

Another guy' John who runs his own small machinist shop in Southampton machined the sprocket-hub doing a great job in keeping the lower lip which is needed to centrally new 520 sprocket on the hub when tighten. The hub surface is milled to bring the rear sprocket closer to the tyre and help with aligning the two sprockets.      

Unlike the guy in Richmond, VA, I wasn't able to find a company that could supply the front or the rear sprocket in 520 off the shelves in the UK. He used two RM 250 sprockets welded together then machined down to give the correct offset needed?. Again I couldn't find a machinist that could do this, if I had more time to spent looking I may have found a machinist who could?. 
After many email's' to various companies with very few replies of which only two were really helpful.
Mark@ POWERLINKS, has now made the rear 520 sprocket up and supplied the chain and Scott/sprocket department @ TALON ENGINEERING LTD. Scott is now making the front 520 sprocket. At the time I had nothing to give Scott to make the new sprocket from, other then few photos and measurements from Richmond, VA. I wanted to get the offset for the front sprocket right first time around as I don't want to have second sprocket made up. Trying to get front and rear sprocket exactly align with each other using a straight piece of metal seems an easy enough method but in practice, it proves to be a tedious job and in the end decided the only way was to tension-up the chain but without a sprocket how' So I came up with the idea to make up crude dummy sprocket out of wood' The first had teeth, the second didn't, but they seam to worked to a fashion and with the aid of a laser-align tool got the offset I required. Few weeks ago posted to Scott, it a 4/6 week turn around time. Said he call if needed any more info. So far I haven't heard anything back which hopefully means he not having any trouble with making the new sprocket up!.  

 


While I wait for the front sprocket to come back, I have starts putting the front-end back in to sort out what still need doing, as well as to check if I've polished in all the right places! I'm short on money at the moment so I put the forks back together for now with no oil in them, will carry out the repairs that need doing later.
There're nowhere to mount the mounting bracket that holds the speedo/tacho and warning light's cluster from b4 to the gsxr top yoke. I could have drilled two holes in the yoke and fixed the mounting bracket in this way, But I didn't want to drill holes in my polished yoke. but I came up with the idea to mount the bracket via steel plate which is fixed between the ignition barrel and yoke using the two fixing-screws used to fix the barrel in place under the yoke,

Once again a trusty 3mm piece of wood to try the idea out first, followed by piece of steel, which in-turn will be beef-up later? (Strengthen). 
 
 




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just came across this. I, too, am bringing a Bandit back to life here in New Hampshire USA. I came across your blog while researching the fork swap. I will continue to follow your progress.
Great job so far and good luck!
Dave

Unique said...

Thanks Dave, I probably will need all the luck I can get. I have made more progress since my last post. I'm putting another post together and soon will post when I'm happy with it. Still lot to do to bike, still working on the undertray at moment, slow but making progress and very happy with fitment.
do drop in again, Derek