Tuesday 22 May 2012

The Hump

Here few photos while I deal with the blues... The weather this week is looking much better then the pass weeks / months, that's is if it doesn't get too hot now to work on the roof!. Also I now have an M.O.T to do on the car and my sister family car fuel pump needs changing so another job I wasn’t  planning for.
                                     

The photos are old 35mm film stock so unlike digital I couldn't see what I was taking at the time so some photos are better then other and now sometime has passed since they were taking and therefore I can’t remember for sure what each photo is showing, i.e. Plug, Female, male moulds or in which stage of the project they were taking. Most of the photos are of the "solo cowling / Hump"  Finding part for the b4 are hard in the UK when it comes to things like the hump and I don't like the cowling that just fit over the pillion seat. 
The photo with the piece of wood in it is the "plug-Pattern" The plug is coloured black and the mould is the female mould which will be the "master mould" I can tell by the thicker layers of fibreglass in the photo so it will keep it shape when being used for making the male mould (the finished item “hump” and weigh no more then the pillion seat ).  The hump plug was shaped on the bike using car body filler which weigh a ton. You can see the hump plug in the photo which has two other plugs, the hump base plug and the rear light back plat plug. The finished hump “solo cowling” fits on the bike the same way as the pillion seat dose, and can be change around  with the pillion seat within few minutes.




The photo at the top of this post.. Shows the "plug-Pattern"(first stage in making up the hump mould) Made out of car body filler, at this stage I had shot some primer filler and was reshaping to get a better fit around the edges that meets original body panels.The original body panels around the back of the bike have not yet been touch and are still in the original paint colours.

The photo to the left shows the plug and the female mould with the edge cleared up. This is not the edge I speak of in the text below.
In between the two parts is a release agents wax to aid in the break out of the plug and the female moulds.



When finishing off the hump unit I took care to make sure the edge around bottom of hump look as good as you would expect a manfactor body part to look and not like so many aftermartket body part edge look like - unfinished and rough.




The hump to the left is finished.

And the photo below with the graphics which were fixed by me was cut out of numbers of graphics to make up what you see, which I put on after flattening out the paint. The next step was to ply three clear coats over graphics, etc.


If I was making up a hump, etc, today rather then using body fillers, I use... pvc / pu ! foam blocks, foam liquids or even maybe balsawood, or some other similar foam materials to make the plug up. I would have to refresh one's memory!! on how too by  google  "how to" !  which I do all the time these days. I didn't know much about google @ the time of this 1st build.


Previous -1st build

No comments: